When you’re looking for a sweet gift for a new bundle of joy, you can’t go wrong with a handmade baby quilt. From animal-themed designs to pastel- or primary-colored cuties, you can find the ideal quilt to fit any baby’s personality or nursery theme.
One of the lovely things about making baby quilts is the opportunity to get creative with a design and truly make it your own. Sure, you can do that with all quilts, but a new baby won’t judge you for your design choices (although, the parents may have an opinion or two), so it’s really the quiltmaker’s prerogative that prevails! That makes the entire process pretty exciting.
Here are five of our favorite quick-and-easy baby quilts—they’re crowd-pleasers (new parents included):
1. Zoe Zebra | A little zebra plays in the flowers on this adorable baby quilt designed by Deb Grogan. Fusible appliqué and strip piecing make it quick to make, and the design features fun three-dimensional surprises for little hands to explore! The quilt finishes at 42″ x 52″. (Fabrics are from the American Made Brand Solids by Clothworks.)
2. Dancing Butterflies | Appliquéd butterflies flutter across simple piecing in this baby quilt designed by Kate Colleran. Wouldn’t this make the sweetest gift for a newborn? The finished quilt measures 42″ x 54″. (Pastel prints from Riley Blake Designs.)
3. One In a Minion | This cute quilt — featuring the lovable characters from the popular Despicable Me and Minions movies — is perfect for naptime or playtime. Designed by Paula Stoddard, easy piecing and a panel make it a breeze to whip up quickly. The finished quilt measures 52″ x 60″.
4. Just Plane Fun | Foundation-pieced airplanes fly through the sky on this baby quilt designed by Glynis Thompson. The design finishes at 54½” by 54½” and adds adventure to any kid’s room. (Fabrics shown are from P&B Textiles.)
5. Playful Patch | The Patch Pals patterns include a dog, cat, duck, monkey, hedgehog, elephant, owl, turtle, raccoon, lion, fox, flamingo, frog, giraffe, toucan, koala and more. The Playful Patch toucan design is really colorful and super fun to make. At 40″ x 50″, it makes an easy baby quilt, also perfect for toddlers. Works well as a scrap quilt, too!
These are just some of our favorites, but we have lots more! Window shop the baby quilt patterns we have on our website and, for more baby quilt inspiration, check out How to Make a Baby Quilt with Sara Gallegos (it’s free!).