When you’re looking for a sweet gift for a new bundle of joy, you can’t go wrong with a handmade baby quilt. But sometimes, there just isn’t time for all the planning that goes into making the perfect quilt: finding the pattern, shopping or hunting through your stash for just-the-right fabric and then sewing and quilting it all together.
That’s where quilt kits come in handy! Nothing makes it easier to create the perfect baby quilt than a kit, and we have some of the best. From animal-themed designs to pastel- or primary-colored cuties, you can find the ideal quilt to fit any baby’s personality or nursery theme.
One of the things I love about kits is that they allow you to make a design exactly as it looks in the sample. Of course there are times I’d rather get creative with a design and truly make it my own — but other times I love the way the sample looks so much, that I want it to look just like that! You can do that with kits, all while saving yourself lots of time and money.
Here are five of my favorite quick-and-easy baby quilt kits:
1. Zoe Zebra: A little zebra plays in the flowers on this adorable baby quilt designed by Deb Grogan. Fusible appliqué and strip piecing make it quick to make, and the design features fun three-dimensional surprises for little hands to explore! The quilt finishes at 42″x 52” and the kit features crisp fabrics from the American Made Brand Solids by Clothworks.
2. Dancing Butterflies: Appliqued butterflies flutter across this baby quilt designed by Kate Colleran. Wouldn’t this make the sweetest gift for a newborn? The finished quilt measures 42” x 54”, and the kit includes soft and pretty pastel prints from Riley Blake Designs.
3. One In a Minion: This cute quilt — featuring the lovable characters from the popular Despicable Me and Minions movies — is perfect for naptime or playtime. It was designed by our managing editor Paula Stoddard, and easy piecing and a panel make it a breeze to whip up quickly. The finished quilt measures 52″ x 60″.
4. Just Plane Fun: Foundation-pieced airplanes fly through the sky on this baby quilt designed by Glynis Thompson. The design finishes at 54-1/2” by 54-1/2”, and the kit includes fabrics from P&B Textiles.
5. Playful Patch: Patch Pals premiered in Quiltmaker in 2011. So far, we’ve created a dog, cat, duck, monkey, hedgehog, elephant, owl, turtle, raccoon, lion, fox, flamingo, frog, giraffe, toucan, koala and more. And, kits are available for many of these easy-to-piece designs! Here is one of my personal favorites, the Playful Patch toucan design. Check out more Patch Pal kits here.
Discover more great quilt kits for baby in our online shop. You can use promo code BABYQK15 to save 15% on quilt kits for babies and children through Thursday, June 23!
* * * * *
P.S. For more baby quilt inspiration, check out our new online course with liZ and Elizabeth Evans: How to Make a Baby Quilt. Registration is open through Monday, June 27, and you can use coupon code QBBABY10 to save $10 off.