About this Quilt
United We Stand
United We Stand
Wall Hanging Size
Block – Finished Size
Backing … 1 1/8 yards
|Planning and Cutting
Take care to use an accurate 1/4″ seam allowance when piecing the block, so your triangles and borders will fit.
Star Template, Quilting Motif and Embroidery Diagrams are provided in PDF format
Piecing the Block
1. Draw diagonal line on wrong side of 2″ x 2″ ivory squares (Piece A). Referring to Diagram I, place squares on each corner of blue print 5 1/2″ x 5 1/2″ square (Piece B), right sides together. Stitch on drawn line. Trim and discard excess fabric.
United We Stand – Page 2
2. On wrong side of ivory 6 1/4″ x 6 1/4″ squares (Piece C), draw 2 diagonal lines with marking tool of your choice. Referring to Diagram II-A, place ivory square on red 6 1/4″ x 6 1/4″ square, right sides together. Sew 1/4″ seam on each side of one line. Cutting on unsewn line first, then on remaining drawn line, cut sewn square into quarters. Press open to make pieced triangles.
3. Referring to Diagram II-B, stitch together 2 pieced triangles to make pieced squares. Turn pieced square positioning ivory triangle at the top. Measure down 4″ and cut off excess fabric. Remaining unit should measure 5 12″ wide x 4″ high. Make 4 cut units.
4. Referring to Diagram III, layout assembled units and 4″ x 4″ ivory squares (Piece D) to make Sunrise Star Block. Sew pieces together.
Quilt Top Assembly
5. Stitch red stripe 9 3/8″ half-square triangles to sides of Sunrise Star Block. (See Diagram IV)
6. Stitch ivory 12 7/8″ half-square triangles to sides of red stripe triangles. (See Diagram V)
7. Referring to Assembly Diagram, sew blue print 1 1/2″ x 24 1/2″ strips to sides of wall hanging top. Stitch blue print 1 1/2 x 26 1/2″ strips to top/bottom.
8. Sew red 4 1/2″ x 26 1/2″ strips to sides of quilt top.. Stitch red 4 1/2″ x 34 1/2″ strips to top/bottom.
United We Stand – Page 3
9. Using *appliqué method of your choice, center stars in each corner of wall hanging (refer to wall hanging drawing) and appliqué into place.
10. Optional: Using embroidery diagrams, trace letters onto borders (see wall hanging drawing). Using tan embroidery floss, embroider letters.
Quilting and Finishing
11. *Layer, baste, and quilt, using method of choice. Bind quilt with blue print fabric.
*Link to our “Lessons” section for help with appliqué methods, quilting techniques, and attaching binding.