About this Quilt
Finished Size : 81" x 81"
Rating : Intermediate
Designed By : Rosemarie DeBoer
Inspired by the speaker from a 1950s radio, the Radio Quilt uses pre-cut strips to form a center motif—created with the basic string-and pencil method for drawing a semicircle—and needle-turn appliqué to get that perfect, rounded edge. A technique for sewing long strips together perfectly every time is included. It will add a little time to the construction, but it’s worth it!
Download this quilt pattern plus eleven others in the November/December 2017 digital issue of Modern Patchwork.
Note: Fabric requirements assume 40″ usable width of fabric.
- 7 yards white for strips and background
- 39 (2-½ ” x 40″) blue pre-cut strips* for center motif and binding
- 2-½ yards of 108″ fabric for backing (white or very light color recommended)
- Queen-size batting
- 9 yards x 12″ (or equivalent) fusible tear-away stabilizer (such as Sulky® Totally Stable™
Iron-On Tear Away Stabilizer)
- 1 yard cotton or non-stretch string
- Fabric-safe marker
*If not using pre-cuts, purchase 3 yards.