About this Quilt
Enjoy this free Treasures from Ireland quilt block pattern, part of Ireland Block of the Month. When Laura Roberts, one of McCall’s Quilting/McCall’s Quick Quilts contributors, discovered she would be going along on the McCall’s Quilting trip to Ireland in 2012, she decided to start an Ireland-themed quilt in anticipation. Get all of the FREE Ireland quilt block of the month patterns!
Skill Level: Confident Beginner
Finished Block Size: 12″ x 12″
Download this FREE quilt pattern for the Treasures from Ireland quilt block.
Cutting Instructions (cut in order listed)
Green mottle (center, geese)
- 2 squares 3″ x 3″, cut in half diagonally
- 8 rectangles 2⅝” x 4¾”
Cream/pink floral (center square)
- 1 square 3½” x 3½”
Pale green mottle (geese backgrounds)
- 16 squares 2⅝” x 2⅝”
Green shamrock print (setting triangles)
- *1 square 8″ x 8″, cut in half twice diagonally
- *2 squares 4¼” x 4¼”, cut in half diagonally
*The green shamrock print setting triangles on all edges and corners are cut oversized for subsequent trimming.
Piecing the Block
1. Referring to Diagram I, sew green mottle 3″ half-square triangles to sides of cream/pink floral 3½” square to make block center.
2. Draw diagonal line on wrong side of pale green mottle 2⅝” square. Place marked square on green mottle 2⅝” x 4¾” rectangle, right sides together, aligning raw edges (Diagram II-A). Stitch on drawn line; trim away and discard excess fabric. Open and press.
Repeat on opposite end of rectangle to make pieced rectangle. Make 8. Stitch 2 pieced rectangles together to make flying geese unit (Diagram II-B). Make 4.
3. Referring to Diagram III, stitch 2 green shamrock print 8″ quarter-square triangles to flying geese unit, aligning as shown. Trim points of triangles even with flying geese unit to make geese/triangle unit. Make 2.
4. Sew 2 flying geese units to opposite sides of block center to make pieced strip (Diagram IV).
5. Referring to Diagram V-A, stitch together geese/triangle units and pieced strip.
Stitch green shamrock 4¼” half-square triangles to corners (Diagram V-B).
Trim block to 12½” square, centering (Diagram V-C), to complete Treasures from Ireland block.