OK, it’s not quilting but sometimes you just need a quick and easy handmade gift, right? If you have some fabric and pillow forms or stuffing, you can make a pair of pillows in about an hour. How’s that for a quick hostess gift or spiffy home décor spruce-up for holiday guests?!
My daughter recently moved across the country and set up house. She put many household items on her gift wish list, including a pair of pillows she found online. When I clicked to view them (I was thinking of a quick purchased gift, at that point), I discovered they were made with outdoor fabric, which is not what she wanted. She said they were just a suggestion (not a specific want) and that I was free to pick anything that might look good on her new red couch.
Hmm, I thought. I have just the fabric is my stash! Some time ago, I bought 2 yds. of Marimekko fabric at a close-out. These bold flowers would be just the thing for her red couch. Plus, I had pillow forms on hand.
Here’s how I made 2 pillows in 1 hour.
2 18″ pillow forms or polyester stuffing
1 1/2 yds. fabric (I fussy cut the flowers so I needed a little extra fabric. You will use less fabric if you’re not fussy cutting.)
1. Cut 4 18″ squares of fabric.
Note: I like pillows to be well stuffed. If you like a looser fit, cut your fabric squares 19″-20″.
2. Place one fabric square on top of a second square, right sides together. Sew around 3 sides using a 1/4″ seam allowance. Clip the sewn corners.
3. Turn the pillow cover right side out. Gently push out the sewn corners. Fold in the raw edges of the opening by 1/4″ and press lightly.
4. Push the pillow form into the cover. Close the opening by whip stitching by hand or carefully machine stitching close to the folded edge.
5. Repeat with the other pair of squares.
You now have 2 pillows to share or keep! Happy holidays!