This year marks the 20th anniversary of the launch of the International Space Station. Through the exploration and research of this station and other initiatives, we have started to answer some of the most pervasive questions—is there life on Mars? How big is the Universe? Space is still a great mystery in many ways, but continues to fascinate and inform the masses. You, our clever readers, submitted out-of-this-world quilts to honor this challenge. It was hard to choose but we’re pleased and proud to announce the finalists of this challenge:
*Please check this list carefully for your name.*
- Debbie Coates, “Loves is in the Air in Aruba”
- Bethany Barnes, “Beauty Beyond the Sky”
- Glad Howard, “Place in Space”
- Carol Rozich Weber, “Windows to Infinity”
- Mary Guntzviller, “Black Hole”
- Kay Wentworth, “The View from My Hot Tub”
- Larry McKenney, “Soaring into Infinity”
- Sandi Rieber, “The Wonder of it All”
- Katherine Dossman, “1981–2011”
- Tonya Littman, “Space Walking”
- Maria Dzreeva, “Night Sky Walk”
- Anne Selder, “Super Nova”
Share your Reader Challenge quilts with the Quilting Arts community on social media with @qareaderchallenge.
Finalists’ artwork must arrive in our office by June 29. At that time a flat return shipping and handling fee of $10 U.S, $20 Canada, and $30 for all other international entries will be due. All funds must be in U.S. dollars and made payable to F+W Media.
Be sure to put your name on your artwork, and mark the top. For safety, place your entry in a plastic bag before packing it for shipping. All artwork will be returned by September 1.
NOTE: F+W Media will not be held responsible for loss or damage due to circumstances beyond our control.
F+W/Quilting Arts Magazine
Attn: ‘Blastoff’ Reader Challenge
2 Mill & Main Place, Suite 610
Maynard, MA 01754
We reserve the right to keep and possibly display your “3-2-1-Blastoff!” quilt until the week of September 1, 2018.
If you have questions, contact Katie at email@example.com.
We look forward to seeing your work!
Illustration: Getty Images/Frank Ramspott