This idiom of mostly unknown origins applies to that heavy downpour that can drench you right through your rain slicker. We’ve had some incredible weather recently—much of it destructive. As weather patterns change all over the world and communities are faced with turmoil, loss, and the specter of rebuilding, we ask you, our readers, to respond to these phenomena in art quilt form. How have meteorological upsets affected you? What changes do you want to see? Would it even be surprising if actual cats and dogs fell from the sky?
Reader Challenge Finalists
Our fun-loving readers took this Challenge and ran with it! It was hard to choose between such creative and environmentally aware artworks. We are pleased and proud to announce this group of finalists.
*Please check this list carefully for your name.*
- Jean Caboth, “Acropolis in a Thunderstorm”
- Tina Fimble, “Home Sweet Home”
- Katrina Halverson, “Indoor Umbrella with Jam the Cat”
- Linda Hillesum, “Desert Storm”
- Lynn Kamola, “Cats Go First”
- Nancy Niswander “It’s Raining on Cats and Dogs”
- Anne Selder, “It’s Raining WHAT?”
- Ellie Sharman, “Deluge”
- Marjorie Van Deren, “ Montana Spring”
Reader Challenge Rules
- Finalists’ artwork must arrive in our office by June 14, 2019.
- Be sure to put your name on your artwork, and mark the top. For safety, place your entry in a plastic bag before packing it for shipping. We reserve the right to keep and possibly display your “It’s Raining Cats and Dogs” quilt until October 15, 2019.
NOTE: By submitting your Reader Challenge entry, you are authorizing
F+W to publish your project in upcoming publications and promotional materials, on our websites and in other e-media, as well as possibly display it at shows. F+W will not be held responsible for loss or damage due to circumstances beyond our control.
Mark your calendar!
May 12: Emailed submissions are due with jpeg photos.
May 15: Names of finalists will be posted.
June 14: Finalists’ quilts must be received in our offices.
October 2019: Look for a gallery of “It’s Raining Cats and Dogs” quilts in the October/November 2019 issue of Quilting Arts Magazine!
Quilting Arts/F+W Media
Attn: Cats and Dogs
2 Mill & Main Place, Suite 610
Maynard, MA 01754
If you have questions, contact Katie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to seeing your work!