We’re talking about the quilt shows we all know and love, and the behind-the-scenes coordination that happens when we’re not looking. Bob Ruggiero, the VP of Communications for Quilts Inc. (the company behind Quilt Market and International Quilt Festival) joins us in a conversation about what it takes to transform a convention center from bare floors to a space that accommodates and entertains 55,000 quilters every year. Then, we talk with Vivika DeNegre, Content Director for Quilting Arts TV, and Vanessa Lyman, Content Director for Love of Quilting TV, about what it means to prepare for a season of quilting television. Finally, we leave you with this question: would you want your show quilt judged? This is the quilting podcast you’ve been waiting for—take a listen!
- Not sure how? Get step-by-step instructions on how to subscribe to The Quilting Company Podcast here (make sure to scroll all the way to the bottom)!
- Learn more about Lori, Tracy, and Carrie in this blog: Announcing… The Quilting Company Podcast
- Welcome | What was your first quilt show?
- Around the Quilt Frame | Bob Ruggiero, VP of Communications for Quilts Inc., talks about preparing for Quilt Market and Quilt Festival
- Open Studio | Vanessa Lyman and Vivika DeNegre discuss quilting television preparations
- Fine Finishes | Would you want your quilt judged in a quilt show?
- Lori’s first quilt show: AQS (American Quilter’s Society) hosts several quilt shows including those at Paducah, KY
- Carrie’s first quilt show: OSQE (Original Sewing and Quilt Expo)
- Carrie mentioned a longarm quilter—she was referring to Dusty Farrell of Farrell’s Country Stitchin
- Bob Ruggiero talks about setting up for Quilt Festival (the largest annual quilt show in the U.S.) and Quilt Market (trade show for the quilting)
- Our guests, Vivika and Vanessa, discuss content production for, and the evolution of, our beloved quilting shows, Love of Quilting TV and Quilting Arts TV
- The evolution of Love of Quilting hosts
- Other quilting shows mentioned: Absolute Beginner Machine Embroidery and My First Quilt
- Find these quilting TV shows on PBS and PBS affiliates
- Vivika’s first quilt show: PIQF (Pacific International Quilt Festival)
- Vanessa’s first quilt show: OSQE (Original Sewing and Quilt Expo)
- We talk about show quilts at the Iowa State Fair and QuiltCon
- Has your quilt been rejected at a QuiltCon quilt show? You’ve earned the hashtag #QuiltConReject!
- Gerald Roy has judged quilt shows, including Vivika DeNegre’s quilt
- We discussed Sharon Schamber’s quilt binding technique in Episode 1: Our Quilting Heritage, but we brought it up again (because it’s so cool!)
THE CONTROVERSY CONTINUES!
Fine Finishes topic: judging quilts—constructive criticism?
- We asked, “Would you want your quilt judged in a quilt show?”
- What are your thoughts?? Leave your answers in the comments below!
Note: By answering our question, you are giving us permission to read your answer in an upcoming episode.
TALK TO US!
Thank you to our sponsor, Husqvarna Viking!