Today’s guest post if from Ginger Tatic, Manager of Online Education for F+W’s Craft Division. Thanks, Ginger!
Learning how to quilt can be intimidating at first sight, especially if you are starting a new technique or even if you are attempting a project more advanced than you would usually try. It can be daunting for a beginner to even look at a very simple quilt pattern and not feel overwhelmed.
Whether you’re just beginning, an intermediate, or more advanced quilt maker or even if you want to try out a new technique, Craft University offers a variety of courses available for download. There are courses from the basics, including how to create simple blocks to quilting and binding your quilting, to advance and expert-level courses in thread painting and longarm quilting. The courses focus on technique and projects specific to quilting. Craft University courses also help you gain the confidence to turn your own designs into something uniquely your own.
As the Manager of Online Education for F&W’s Craft Division, I get asked a lot of questions about taking an online course and thought it would be beneficial to share some of those questions and my answers with you all.
Q: Why should I try the online courses available through Craft University?
A: Here are just a few of the great benefits you get by taking an online course at Craft University:
- With every course produced at Craft University we strive to equip our student with all necessary materials to learn. Some courses may contain more additional materials than others. Each course has a detailed description with all the information about the course you’re interested in. Downloadable and printable items can be found in the Resources section of your course.
- All Craft University courses are split up into sections and divided by interactive materials to fully immerse you in the new technique or course project you’ve chosen. With the ability to move in and out of the quilting course on your own time, utilizing multimedia navigation, the course allows for you to browse, watch a tutorial, try it on your own, and then continue with the next step all at your own pace.
- Each Craft University Course is equipped with a Discussion Board. Ask questions, share your work and participate in lively discussion around your newfound skills. Courses also contain other valuable interaction, including galleries for you to share your work, a personal notes section, and optional quizzes.
- You can enjoy your Online Course on any device including your laptop, desktop, smartphone or tablet. Log in to or create your Craft University account and launch the course! Click on any video to play full screen. Course Resources such as instructional PDFs are also viewable from your smartphone or tablet.
- The course is yours forever! All videos and handouts are downloadable. Feel free to cruise through at your own pace. Video can be paused, downloaded, and even skipped. Quizzes, discussions, and interactions are all on your own time. Participate as much or as little as you’d like in these quilting courses.
- Not everyone will log in together but you’d better believe there’s a whole community of like-minded quilters reading your responses and ready to answer your questions! Join the conversation, make a new pal. We’re all here to enjoy ourselves and learn something new!
- Want to teach what you have learned! We also offer certification courses so you can become a teacher yourself!How to Get Started
Frequently Asked Craft U Questions
Now for a few frequently asked questions about the online courses to make it accessible for those who may be new to the online course format.
Q: How do I “sign up” to take an online course?
A: Courses may be purchased by going to craftonlineuniversity.com. Once you have made the purchase your new course will be available in your very own course dashboard.
Q: Do I watch the course “live” or can I download it to watch at a future date?
A: Any video segment within a course can be downloaded. Simply click the Share Control icon and then click Download. The video download will begin immediately.
Finding the Right Course for You
Q: What if I’m a beginner? Will the courses be too challenging for me?
A: To better understand if a course will suit your abilities, be sure to read the course description thoroughly. Some courses are presented by series. These series titles often will include words such as ‘Beginner Series’ or ‘Advanced Series’.
Q: Do you suggest watching the entire course before going back and working alongside the instruction?
A: This is entirely up to you and how you learn best. Listen to what your instructor has to say; perhaps they have some specific advice on how best to enjoy their jewelry-making class!
Q: Do you have any last words of encouragement or advice for our readers?
A: Sit down and enjoy your first class! Discover the wonderful world of online crafts education. We’re excited you’re here!
If you have more questions, feel free to post them in the comments below. Otherwise, have a delightful time trying out the online courses!