Whether you piece your quilts by hand, applique with wool, add a touch of walking foot quilting to your masterpiece or embellish with machine-guided embroidery, you’ve probably felt it… the dreaded quilting slump. Suddenly, all of that quilty mojo has evaporated, and what are you left with? An uninspiring work-in-progress; a pile of cut fabric with no master plan; a future UFO.
Not to fear!
Episode 4 of The Quilting Company Podcast is available, and this episode is focused on identifying the reasons for dips in creativity (you did know that those lulls in inspiration are experienced by everyone, didn’t you?) and overcoming them with a few helpful tips.
Meet our Guest
Lori Baker, Editor of Fons & Porter’s Love of Quilting Magazine, has an inspiring conversation with Cathy Renaldo, the Education Support Specialist for Husqvarna Viking. Cathy shares how she finds her quilting mojo in unexpected places, such as at regional quilt shows, browsing magazines, and in her own studio.
Here are a few quick tips from Cathy to get your creative juices flowing:
- Experiment with the fancy stitches and embroidery on your machine. Adding thread to a plain fabric makes it uniquely yours.
- Incorporate your embroidered fabric in a quilt block as a central motif, or cut it up and use in your piecing.
- See past the colors of a quilt or block design and reimagine it with your own palette.
- Go beyond the original intent of a design, taking it to a whole new level. Start with a base idea, then ask yourself a question: “what if I (fill in the blank)?” and see where your idea leads you.
- Surround yourself with other creative people and learn from them whenever you can!
Finding and Keeping your Mojo
Finding your mojo and keeping it strong is always a challenge, but it is easier if you have lots of inspiration at your fingertips. The hosts love to make big and bold quilt blocks like those found in the Quilt Big by Jemima Flendt. Cathy Renaldo browses magazines for inspiration, and you can, too! Pick up your copy of the May/June 2019 issue of Fons & Porter’s Love of Quilting Magazine today for patterns and projects galore!
Want to know more about the Quilting Company Podcast?
You can listen to this episode here at The Quilting Company or subscribe to the Quilting Company Podcast on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or wherever you get your podcasts so you’ll never miss an episode. Why not gather your friends to listen together? It will be like you’re all in the room with Lori, Carrie, and Tracy as their guests, stitching away at the quilt frame!
Stay tuned and don’t forget to head over to The Quilting Company Podcast page to listen to the next episode as we explore behind the scenes at Quilt Market and other big quilt shows, Putting on the Show available on 4/10/19.
And a big “Thank You” to our sponsor, Husquvarna Viking!
The Quilting Company Editorial Team