There’s never been a finer group of people than quilters! You all are creative and kind, passionate and practical, friendly and hardworking, patient and astonishingly resourceful! (We never get tired of our reader submitted tips!)
This issue is, in so many ways, a celebration of our community of quilters, and the way we inspire one another.
Take Martha, Martha. Originally part of a block swap with Liz Porter, Angela Steiner’s quilt was shared on episode 3112 of PBS’ “Love of Quilting.” Angela’s quilt was so fabulous, we decided to pattern it. It’s an example of a community of quilters coming together to share and swap, inspire each other, and challenge one another—and use classic quilt blocks from previous generations of quilters!
Speaking of generations, this issue features quilts from mother-daughter duo Marianne and Mary Fons—both quilts featured on the TV show, too! Marianne’s Trellis is a spectacular (and enormous!) blue-and-white quilt; Mary’s Piecing a Blue Streak is a scrappy delight.
Proving that our community of quilters extends beyond our American shores, the Trunk Show for this issue features Australian quilter Michelle Yeo, whose classic quilts are a reminder of why we have a passion for patchwork. Also in this issue, we have Modern Album Star, a remixed version of an earlier quilt, as well as Swizzle Sticks, which uses the scraps from Modern Album Star! We have our Quilts of Valor® for the issue, Ride West, as well as a very special photo essay that taps into the emotional connection of a Quilts of Valor® event.
Our emotional connection to the recipients of our quilts is essential to each stitch we take. Because it’s community that truly inspires us to make—in the word’s of Michelle Yeo’s husband—“a proper patchwork quilt.”
Table of Contents
- Evan: Masterfully classic
- Mod Azul: Easy and light
- Family Heritage: One block heirloom
- Friends in the Forest: Simple child’s quilt
- Modern Album Star: A re-mixed classic
- Please Note: a correction to this pattern has been posted to the Fons & Porter errata page.
- Swizzle Sticks: A scrappy solution
- Ride West: A fun Quilt of Valor®
- Martha, Martha: Classic yet fresh layout
- Trellis: Blue-and-white showstopper
- Batik Stars: Fat quarter friendly
- Piecing a Blue Streak: Scrappy, starry column quilt
- Sew Easy: 8-at-a-Time Triangle-Squares
- Sew Easy: Using Tri-Recs Tools
- Sew Easy: Three-Color Hourglass Units
- Sew Easy: Row Alignment
- Sew Easy: Quick Triangle-Squares
- Sew Easy: Strip Sets
- Sew Easy: Stitch-and-Flip Triangles
- Sew Easy: Trimming Oversized Triangle-Squares
- Sew Easy: Quick Hourglass Units
- Sew Easy: Quick-Pieced Flying Geese Units
- Sew Easy: Binding
- Sew Easy: Adding a Hanging Sleeve
- From Marianne & Liz
- Shop Hop
- Sew Many Tips
- Sew & Tell
- Photo Essay: Quilts of Valor®
- Trunk Show: Michelle Yeo
- Quilting the Quilt: Welcome New Quilters!