In reading over the pages of this early summer issue, we were struck by how often we referenced our Sew Easy Lessons for Quick-Pieced Flying Geese. (Flying back home for spring, perhaps?) Did this issue really include that many patterns using Flying Geese units?
Indeed, it does.
There they are in the star points of the patriotic With Distinction, as well as the faceted frames in the juicily batik Kanaloa. Flying Geese show up in the construction of the Bear Paw block in this issue’s TV quilt, Cabins of Carolina, and they prowl around the border and pounce in the blocks of the delightful Just Catting Around. They make an appearance in Summertime Blues, as well.
So these humble, everyday patchwork units appear in very different quilts, and give very different effects. Sometimes, as with Just Catting Around, they create a completely different effect within the same quilt! That’s a mark of classic patchwork—its versatility. Once you learn a patchwork element like the Flying Geese unit, you can find endless ways to tend to play well with other designs, changing character with placement and fabric choices. They’re classics for a reason.
This issue has dozens of classic blocks coming out to play in fresh, exciting ways: Dresden Plates, Sawtooth Stars, Log Cabin blocks…Carl Hentsch’s Baskets relies on a charming Basket block to frame a splendid panel. It’s a design that works with that particular panel, but—as is often the case with solid, classic patchwork—it could frame any type of centerpiece, and still sing.
Here’s to the old standards—let them sing! Grab your copy of Love of Quilting May/June 2018 today to enjoy all this and more.
Table of Contents
- Coastal Breeze: Plentiful Pinwheels
- From France, With Love: Vintage print inspiration
- Blue Delight: Nine Patches on-point
- Summertime Blues: Star blocks
- Kanaloa: Batik beauty
- Just Catting Around: Flying Geese fun
- Cabins of Carolina: Log Cabin Variation
- Baskets: Framed Panel
- Prairie Princess: Medallion quilt
- Show Off: Showcased prints
- Plates & Wheels: Lovely Dresdens
- With Distinction: Quilt of Valor®
- Sew Easy Lesson: Quick Triangle-Squares
- Sew Easy Lesson: Binding with Faux Piping
- Sew Easy Lesson: Using Tri-Recs Tools
- Sew Easy Lesson: Quick-Pieced Flying Geese Units
- Sew Easy Lesson: 8-at-a-Time Triangle-Squares
- From Marianne & Liz
- Shop Hop
- Sew Many Tips
- Quilting the Quilt
- Trunk Show