Handmade from the heart
Some of my favorite things are items my children and grandchildren have made for me. Because my children don’t like to sew, these treasures are not quilted. Instead, I have handcrafted copper trees, wooden boxes and shelves, pen-and-ink drawings, metalwork, and paper crafts. All of them are beautiful and so very valuable because one of my children or grandchildren made them just for me.
When we take the time to make something specifically for someone, that piece becomes extraordinary. It has extra value, becoming more beautiful in the eyes of the recipient. At least most of the time. But I can also tell you stories of presents I made (particularly when I was younger) that were less than I had envisioned. I needed to take more time, think about who it was for and what they liked so I could plan a little better.
With that in mind, to help you with planning, we’ve included several small items that are perfect for gifting. You’ll also find several projects made with the Mother’s Choice block because it seems appropriate for this time of year. Choose one of these ideas and you can get started on a gift for that special someone or maybe something just for you.
Several of the projects in this issue are from the latest season of Fons & Porter’s Love of Quilting TV. Be sure to check them out for more ideas. We also have a free web bonus pattern for you below.
Inside the May/June 2019 issue of Love of Quilting:
- Mother’s Best: Mother’s Choice block
- Table Manners: Bright and fresh
- Lightning in a Bottle: Novelty print wall art
- Star Power: Quilt of Valor ®
- From My Window: Cathedral Window
- Little Sprout: Child’s quilt
- Providence: Pieced border
- Reverse Appliqué: Beautiful wall décor
- Wave-Washed Pebbles: Two-block beauty
- Jazz and Jade: Stunning stars
- Kiddos and Bobbins: Bobbinwork fun
- Chain Link Pillow: A great gift
- Ruffled Princess Pillow: Create your own lace
- Princess Pillowcase: Sweet dreams
- Pastoral Patchwork: Fusible appliqué
- BONUS PATTERN – Primary Lessons
- Sew Easy: Quick Triangle-Squares
- Sew Easy: Quick Flying Geese
- Sew Easy: Trimming Oversize Triangle-Squares
- Sew Easy: Fusible Reverse Appliqué
- Sew Easy: Mitering Corners
- Sew Easy: 8-at-a-Time Triangle-Squares
- Sew Easy: Piecing Curves
- From the Editor
- Shop Hop
- Sew Many Tips
- Sew & Tell
- Quilting the Quilt: Quilt Panel Pizzazz
- Trunk Show: Angela Huffman and Sara Gallegos
- Download the free Floral Heart quilting motif pattern.