Autumn always feels like the unofficial kick-off to quilting season. There’s an energy in the air that gets you excited to try new projects. In this issue, we have 11 amazing quilts for those crisp, creative days.
We have quite a few quilts that will have you playing with borders. Leaf Scatter is a good example; if you’ve never attempted a mitered border or played with border prints, this quilt will show you just how much of a WOW factor this simple approach can add. The keyboard patchwork border in Nancy Mahoney’s Marching Ready is spectacular, too, as is the repeated framing design on Barb Eikmeier’s Strength & Glory.
In addition to the simple, but effective approach to the border, Strength & Glory is one of our seasonal quilts for this issue, its dignified Oak Reel blocks a testament to the crisp days of September. For scrappier leaves, check out Crumbly Leaves; there’s so much you can do with these! If you’re in the mood for a little Halloween magic, check out the patchwork black cats in Trick-or-Meow.
With our creative energies charged up, we were inspired to come up with a new technique you should try! The classic Missouri Star block featured in Winds of Autumn is lovely, but we just didn’t like the idea of cutting out well over 100 triangles (all that bias!) and sewing them together. After some thinking, we came up with a variation of our Quick-Pieced Flying Geese Units method that uses Triangle-Squares. We called it Quick-Pieced Split Point Units—so much quicker, and more dependable!
Try a new technique, play with borders, and get creative!
Table of Contents
- Strength & Glory: Oak Reel wallhanging
- First Heartbeat: Sweet and easy baby quilt
- Kentucky Crossroads: An uncommon quilt block
- River Cabin: Vivid batik log cabin
- Crumbly Leaves: Scrappy maple leaves
- Marie: Heirloom-level patchwork
- Marching Ready: A fun Quilt of Valor®
- Winds of Autumn: Traditional style
- Trick-or-Meow: Halloween fun
- Morris Garden: On-point quilt block border
- Leaf Scatter: Fussy cut leaf fabrics
- Sew Easy: Mitered Borders
- Sew Easy: Stitch-and-Flip Corners
- Sew Easy: Crazy-Pieced Blocks
- Sew Easy: Quick Triangle-Squares
- Sew Easy: 8-at-a-Time Triangle-Squares
- Sew Easy: Quick-Pieced Flying Geese Units
- Sew Easy: Using Tri-Recs Tools
- Sew Easy: Quick Hourglass Units
- From Marianne & Liz
- Shop Hop
- Sew Many Tips
- Sew & Tell
- Trunk Show: Nancy Mahoney
- Quilting the Quilt: Meander or Stipple?