“Baby it’s cold outside” – this song written by Frank Loessner in 1944 and performed subsequently by multiple artists is what I’m thinking about now. The skies are dark and snow is in the air. While this may not bring happy thoughts to many, to me it’s the perfect time to settle in and sew! Give me a book on tape, a cup of hot tea and I’m ready to lose myself in my sewing room for hours!
We have some great projects in this issue for your winter sewing! I like to use the first couple months of each year to bust through my fabric stash and work on some scrappy quilts. Ocean Vista (page 28) and Partly Cloudy (page 34) are perfect quilts to take a bite out of your stash. I Heart You (page 32) and Nora’s Shamrock (page 38) are seasonal pillows that work up quickly. I’m sure you’ll find just the right project for you on these pages.
I know it’s different for everyone, but I’m curious to know if you listen to music, books, watch movies or enjoy just the sound of your sewing machine while you’re working on your quilts.
As always, I love hearing from you. Please feel free to email me at [email protected] with your thoughts and suggestions.
Carolyn Beam, Content Director
Table of Contents
In Every Issue
- Rooftop Garden: grow a flower garden amidst a concrete jungle
- Blues Traveler: enjoy the journey and the destination!
- Spare Parts: showcase pretty fabrics with strip-pieced assembly
- Over and Under: a beautiful throw for anyone
- Hudson Square: traditional roots meet sophisticated style
- Ocean Vista: easy blocks + pieced sashing = great quilt
- I Heart You: tuck a sweet note into this pillow for a special someone
- Partly Cloudy: a rainbow peeks through cloudy, gray skies
- Nora’s Shamrock: may the sun shine warm upon your fields
- Grandma’s Farm: 4-patch units add fun to a 9-patch block
- Dream at Dawn Pt. 6: this sampler block layout is a breath of fresh air