Do you struggle to make time for your favorite hobby? Maybe you work full-time, or have a young family (or parent) that needs care. Or maybe you have plenty of time to quilt, however tops pile up because you love to piece, but don’t enjoy freemotion quilting. If your life is anything like mine, you are constantly struggling to make more time to quilt. Well, this issue of McCall’s Quilting is just the thing to get you motivated and inspired!
Our pages are chock full of tips and projects that will spur you to get more quilting done in 2020. Whether it is using up your stash, finding ways for more comfortable and productive cutting, or ideas for quilting and binding your quilt, our contributors share their best tips. Look for sidebars and articles scattered throughout this issue.
If using up your stash is your top goal, we have several quilts that will do just that. Lisa Pridgen encourages us to get in the meditative sewing zone and use up our fabrics—yes, even the “uglies”—with her quilt, Fiesta Flash. Jennifer Strauser’s Color Catcher is a rainbow quilt that sews up quickly. Jennifer made quick work of cutting this one by using her AccuQuilt. Abigail Dolinger is back with a strip-pieced Churn Dash quilt, called Churning Along—if this one doesn’t make a dent in your stash, well, all we can say is we tried!
Melissa Marginet shares her amazing quilting technique that makes her quilt Shine a knockout! Resolve to Finish is an article that offers inspiration for adding some pizzazz to your bindings. Don’t miss part 2 of our series quilt, Interstellar by Karen O’Conner.
Our hope is that your 2020 is filled with sewing bliss.
Tracy Mooney, Editor
Correction: We would like to apologize for an error in the pattern Holly Star on page 12 in the November/December 2019 issue. We incorrectly named the fabric used in the quilt. Jo used Cardinal Song for Moda Fabrics in addition to fabrics from her personal collection.
In the January/February 2020 issue of McCall’s Quilting:
- Editor’s Letter: New Year’s Resolutions
- Fresh Picks: Check out our latest finds.
- Quilter to Quilter: See what your fellow McCall’s Quilting readers have been making.
- McQ&A: We ask our editorial team for their best project organization tips.
- Quilt Basics: The quiltmaking techniques you need to make the patterns in this issue.
- Resolve to Finish Get inspiration for creative bindings.
- But Wait! There’s More! The online articles and free patterns you don’t want to miss!
- I Love This Quilt! Kelly Eisinger shares her favorite McCall’s pattern.
- Crimson Goose Nancy Mahoney shares a red and white beauty that is sure to delight.
- Churning Along A classic quilt block has gone to pieces with this strip-pieced design by Abigail Dolinger.
- Shine Resolve to quilt your own quilts with this simple design by Melissa Marginet.
- Fiesta Flash Get in the meditative sewing zone with this fun quilt by Lisa Pridgen.
- Color Catcher Resolve to use your stash with this colorful design by Jennifer Strauser.
- Summer Celebration Heidi Pridemore is dreaming of warmer days with this medallion style quilt.
- Shades of Santorini A stunning vacation inspires a gorgeous quilt.
- Blush Simple piecing and bright, fun colors makes for a happy quilt.
- Interstellar Part 2 Get ready for part 2 of this 3-part series quilt with Karen O’Conner.
- Ring Around the Rainbow Diane Harris is playing with color on a small scale with this bowtie design.
- On Safari Make a delightful baby quilt using an adorable fussy-cut fabric.
- Gretta’s Garden A quick and easy pattern make for a pretty and feminine quilt.
- X-press Yourself “X” marks the spot with this quilt by Ramona Sorensen.
- Download the Moon and Stars pattern from I Love This Quilt!
- Download the Filigree Facets Quilting motif pattern.
Pick up your copy of the January/February 2020 issue of McCall’s Quilting!