It seems like it was just yesterday we were toasting to 2019, and now 2020 is almost here. Can you believe how this year flew by? My goal for 2019 was to get more quilts finished, and I am pleased to say I did get more projects done. By the time you are reading this, I am guaranteed to be frantically finishing up several projects to place under the tree.
For this issue, we wanted big, cozy quilts—and boy, did our designers come through! Charisma Horton designed the delightful Home Again using fabrics from the Home for Christmas collection by Dan DiPaolo for Clothworks Fabrics. She even stitched up the Christmas stockings that were part of the panel in that collection. Holiday Hearth by Krisanne Watkins is a vision to behold. Krisanne really outdid herself matching up all of the plaids in the borders perfectly! We know you are going to love these large quilts.
Speaking of big quilts, we kick off a 3-part series with Interstellar, designed by Karen O’Conner. This block of the month quilt is a stunning array of star blocks inspired by her father’s love of space. Be sure to check it out.
If you are looking for a quick project, Little Red Truck is the latest design from Mary Hertel. This adorable tree skirt features paper pieced red pickup trucks carrying Christmas trees. If you love it, don’t miss Mary’s sister design in the November/December 2019 issue of Quiltmaker magazine. We hope you love the designs in this issue as much as we loved choosing them.
May the remainder of 2019 bring time to sew and a bobbin that never runs out!
Featured Image: The quilts shown are (from left to right) Little Red Truck by Mary Hertel, Interstellar by Karen O’Conner, Cardinal Song by Pam Boswell, and Holiday Hearth by Krisanne Watkins.
Correction: We would like to apologize for an error in our Fresh Picks feature in the September/October 2019 issue. We gave the incorrect website for the Guidelines 4 Quilting Seam Guide Setter. The correct website is www.GL4Q.com.
In the November/December 2019 issue of McCall’s Quilting:
- Editor’s Letter: A Toast to 2019!
- Fresh Picks: Check out our latest finds.
- Quilter to Quilter: See what your fellow McCall’s Quilting readers have been making.
- McQ&A: We ask our editorial team about the most challenging project they ever attempted.
- Quilt Basics: The quiltmaking techniques you need to make the patterns in this issue.
- Present Perfect Gifts ideas for your quilter friends.
- The Tip of the Triangle Tricks for perfecting your piecing skills.
- But Wait! There’s More! The online articles and free patterns you don’t want to miss!
- I Love This Quilt! Tracy Mooney shares her favorite McCall’s pattern.
- Holly Star Jo Moury’s masterpiece of piecing, appliqué, couching, and beadwork.
- Yule Glow Candles glow in this Diane Harris original design.
- Winter Visitor Reed Johnson creates a cozy winter scene using a delightful flannel panel.
- North Star Ramona Sorensen makes stars aplenty with a blue holiday fabric collection.
- Holiday Spin Tailormade By Design is back with a sparkling new design.
- Poinsettia Reel Make perfect use of border prints using Patti Carey’s gorgeous design.
- Holiday Hearth Krisanne Watkins’ piecing-palooza is a sight to behold!
- Cardinal Song Stitch a quick holiday table runner using Pam Boswell’s latest pattern.
- Little Red Truck Mary Hertel is back with a festive tree skirt.
- Home Again Charisma Horton uses fun Christmas fabrics to make a quilt fit for the season.
- Holiday Twinkle This cheery sampler quilt designed by Jen Daly is sure to delight!
- Interstellar Part 1 Get ready for take-off in this 3-part journey with Karen O’Conner.
- Polar Paws Terri Vanden Bosch makes quick work of a big quilt using giant Bear Paw blocks.
Pattern Pull-Out Section
- This section contains the templates and foundations for the quilts in this issue.
- Download the Star Crossed pattern from I Love This Quilt!
- Download the Tulip Quilting motif pattern.