McCall’s Quilting September/October 2019
Fall for Quilting
Fall is my favorite season. The crisp air, the leaves changing colors, I enjoy the way the air smells and I love Halloween. I certainly love the quilts! There is something so cozy about preparing for winter by making quilts.
This issue has many cuddly quilts that you will want to make immediately. Two of my favorites utilize specialty fabrics that I personally cannot resist. Harvest Festival by Tailormade By Design is a quilt that has a lot of wow but is easy to make. They used those large metallic florals that I purchase and then wonder what to do with them. Do you do that too? This classic design is perfect for showcasing those delicious fabrics. Speaking of delicious fabrics, if you love ombré prints, then you will adore Divided Horizon by Sue Harvey and Sandy Boobar. This is a quilt design that will go together quickly and look spectacular because it shows off that delightful print to its fullest potential.
Harvest Moon by Diane Harris is a study in scale. A giant star surrounded by the same star in miniature, this quilt is sure to grace your home for years to come. And whether you make it in fall hues like Diane, or another pleasing color palette, I can imagine the oooh’s and ah’s you will get at your next quilt guild show and tell. Geraldine Wilkins’ latest design features easy stitch-and-flip techniques but the layout is a stunner. All those gorgeous batiks she used are making me want to go home and sew!
If you have kids (or grandkids!) take a look at Whoo Wants to Play? by Phyllis Meiring for a fun project that any kid will love.
Grab a cup of warm cider and snuggle in for this cozy issue of McCall’s Quilting. I hope you love every page.
In the September/October 2019 issue of McCall’s Quilting:
- Editor’s Letter: Fall for Quilting
- Fresh Picks: Check out our latest finds.
- Quilter to Quilter: See what your fellow McCall’s Quilting readers have been making.
- McQ&A: We ask our editorial team about the most challenging project they ever attempted.
- Quilt Basics: The quiltmaking techniques you need to make the patterns in this issue.
- Quilting Cozy! Mandy Leins offers tips for quilting those cuddly fabrics that have a nap.
- Nothing Else Like It: Mystical Meets Natural in Stonehenge Fabric On the 10 year anniversary, we learn about how Stonehenge fabric came to be.
- But Wait! There’s More! The online articles and free patterns you don’t want to miss!
- I Love This Quilt! Tricia Patterson shares her favorite McCall’s pattern.
- Cabins Squared: Jen Daly designs a table runner with homey appeal.
- Harvest Moon: Golds, oranges, and dark grays mingle in this quilt by Diane Harris that will leave you starry-eyed.
- Fields of Gold: Geraldine Wilkins is back with a dreamy quilt done in rich fall colors.
- Evergreen Spools: Geometric shapes combine to create a secondary pattern that looks like spools of thread.
- Don’t Rake the Leaves: Fall leaves float across the surface of this design that perfectly showcases a large print.
- Star-Crossed: Grab your Halloween stash and treat yourself to this spooky quilt!
- Autumn Path: Your eye dances across the surface of this festive fall quilt.
- Divided Horizons: Enamored by ombré fabrics? Create a quilt to showcase their beauty.
- Harvest Festival: A stunning quilt to show off those gorgeous floral prints.
- Moose Tracks: Take some cozy flannel and give this lively quilt pattern a spin.
- Crossweave: Easy strip piecing creates the illusion of woven fabric strips.
- Ladder to the Stars: Two blocks, easy piecing. You can stitch this cheerful quilt up in no time.
Pattern Pull-Out Section
- This section contains the templates and foundations for the quilts in this issue.
- Download the Miss Kyra pattern from I Love This Quilt!
- Download the Concordia Quilting motif pattern.
Pick up your copy of the September/October 2019 issue of McCall’s Quilting!