Today were excited to welcome designer Heidi Pridemore as a guest blogger on Quilty Pleasures! Heidi is going to tell us about her whimsical new quilt, Mondays Washday:
43 x 52
Designed by Heidi Pridemore
Hello fellow quilters, I am so happy to be a guest blogger for Quiltmaker. I am also excited to share my Mondays Washday quilt that is featured in the May/June 17 issue #175.
I used the beautiful line of fabric called Frou Frou, distributed by Clothworks. The fabrics are from France and have a lovely lightweight silky feel to them. The Frou Frou collection is so cool because the line is never discontinued and they also offer a full line of matching spaghetti straps, bias tapes and buttons to go with the different prints mostly for garment construction.
When I was approached to design a quilt for this group. I thought, why not create a quilt that represents what the collection was designed for by creating little dresses? I thought of paper doll dresses from my youth and used this as additional inspiration for the design. I also knew I wanted to incorporate the trims and buttons from the collection into the design. So I decided to use the spaghetti straps for the straps and belts for the appliqued dresses. I used the matching buttons for the flowers on the quilt. Here are some photos of how I assembled the quilt top.
First I assembled all the tools I would need. I had the dresses, cut and ready to go. I also used a piece of wax paper and glue stick, along with sharp scissors for this part.
First I cut the belts from the spaghetti strap for the dresses about 1/4 longer on each side of the dress. Then I used the glue stick to attach the spaghetti strap strips to the dresses. I centered the belt onto the dress and then folded the excess to the back of the dress and glued them in place. This created a finished edge on each side of the belt.
Then I started an assembly line to finish all the dresses.
Next I added the straps to each dress, again using the glue stick to attach them to the wrong side of the dresses.
Now it was time to hang the dresses on the clothesline. First I positioned the clothesline onto the background and used the glue stick to hold it in place.
I started with the dress in the middle of each curve and positioned the rest of the dresses in place. I tucked the dress straps under the clothesline by carefully peeling up the clothesline and then pressed the dresses in place.
Once all the dresses were in place I used a blanket stitch to stitch the dresses, clothesline, belts and straps in place. I used a lime green thread from Aurifil to finish all the edges.
Next I used the glue stitch method to position and place each stem in between the dresses. I finished the edges of each with a blanket stitch.
For the buttons, I use the Button Foot for my BERNINA to machine stitch each button in place. To keep them from sliding around as I stitched, I used my old standby, the glue stick to hold them in place. This made quick work of attaching the buttons.
I hope you have enjoyed the behind the scenes look at how this sweet quilt was made.
Please visit my blog http://heidipridemore.blogspot.com each month where I will share with you some tips and tricks on cutting and assembling of the free project of the month along with posting the free pattern on our websiteThe Whimsical Workshop.
* * *
Thank you for joining us today, Heidi!
Adigital patternis also available forMondays Washday.