Inspired by improv artists and their own backyards, readers cut and sewed up beautiful, improvisationally pieced quilts. With fate as a ruler abstract interpretations of our quilters’ most immediate surroundings emerged. It was hard to choose but we’re pleased and proud to announce the finalists of this challenge: *Please check this list carefully for your name.*
Announcing the Finalists
- Marina Brennan, “Ancient Oak Glen”
- Betsy Brown, “View to the Left”
- Ginny Cooper, “View from my Back Deck”
- Henrietta Dahlstrom, “Winter Sunset”
- Sylvia H. Eisma, “Dancing Tree”’
- Ethelda Ellis, “Winter Sunrise”
- Ana Gallardo, “Lights of the Village, So Far Away”
- Norma Hanlon, “Waiting for Spring”
- Julienne Jaworski, “Red in the Morning”
- Judy MacNaughton, “After the Sun Sets”
- Vista Mahan, “My View of Lookout Mountain, Fox Mountain, and Sand Mountain”
- Sally Harcum Maxwell, “Winter’s Woodland”
- Deborah M. Pearsall, “Anticipation, Late November 2017”
- Krena Poole, “Home Tweet Home”
- Rebecca Richard-Shupert, “The Commute”
- Barbara Triscari, “The Cardinal”
- Lynn K. White, “Dawn on Puget Sound”
- Kathy Wright, “Moon Shadows”
Congratulations, finalists, and thank you to all who submitted their work for this challenge! We will share a sampling of finalists’ artwork in the June/July 2018 issue of Quilting Arts Magazine.
Your artwork must be in our offices no later than March 2, along with a shipping and handling fee of $10 (U.S.), $20 (Canada), or $30 (all other international). This fee, which must be paid in U.S. dollars, covers the shipping costs, packing materials, and handling for the return of your entry. Only cash, checks, or money orders can be accepted; no credit cards or electronic payments. Checks or money orders should be made payable to F+W.
Please securely pack your quilt to resist damage from the elements (we suggest putting the quilt in a sealed plastic bag inside the main packaging). Also include your full name and mailing address (clearly written, please) inside the package.
The entire piece and all of its packaging must weigh less than 3 lbs. and fit inside a standard shipping/mailing box or padded envelope for return shipment.
Finalists, mail your entries to:
Quilting Arts Magazine/F+W
Attn: ‘My View’ Reader Challenge
2 Mill & Main Place, Suite 610
Maynard, MA 01754
Note: By submitting your reader challenge entry, you are authorizing F+W to publish your project in upcoming publications and promotional materials, on our websites and in other e-media, as well as to possibly display it at shows. F+W will not be held responsible for loss or damage due to circumstances beyond our control.
We reserve the right to keep and possibly display your “My View” quilt until the week of April 30, 2018.
If you have questions, contact Katie at email@example.com.
We have a Reader Challenge in every issue. Subscribe to Quilting Arts Magazine and be among the first to learn about our next challenge so you can join in on the fun.
Full challenge rules and the next Reader Challenge can be found on the Quilting Arts Reader Challenge page.
Featured Image: Detail of “Way to Grace’s” by Maria Shell | Photographed by Chris Arend