Sometimes, after a busy quilting season, quilters like to take it easy with a lot of small quilting projects and, as we enter a new year, start on fresh, simple, and quick projects (not adding to the UFO pile is pretty exciting). What’s better than that? When they’re free AND adorable!
We love these Charming Baby Blocks and think they make an excellent gift for new babies—talk about starting fresh! Plus, these baby blocks are scrap-friendly, which means this project is easy on the pocketbook—quite appealing after a spendy holiday season. But, if you have a few cents to spare, a Charm Pack is all that’s needed to make these darling soft blocks.
So, let’s get started!
Skill Level: Advanced Beginner
Finished Size: 3″ x 3″
- Quilting cotton: lots of scraps, at least 3″ square, or a Charm Pack
- Polyester stuffing
- OPTIONAL: 12″ twill tape
Measurements include ½” seam allowances.
From each scrap, cut a 2½” square. Cut 24 squares for each block, or use squares from mini-charm packs.
Press seams open after each step. Instructions are for 1 block.
- Make (6) 4-patch units.
- Draw a diagonal line on the wrong side of (1) 4-patch unit.
- Place a marked unit right side together with an unmarked 4-patch unit.
- Sew ¼” away from each side of the diagonal line.
- Cut on the line, creating 2 half- square triangles (HSTs).
- Place these 2 HSTs right sides together, aligning the seam line. Draw a diagonal line, perpendicular to the seam line.
- Sew ¼” away from each side of the diagonal line. Cut on the line.
NOTE: stitch slowly over the bulky center.
- Trim the remaining (4) 4-patch units to 3½” square.
OPTIONAL: babies love to play with tabs. Fold a 4″ piece of twill tape in half and align the cut ends with the edge of 1 of the blocks. Baste.
FINISHING THE BLOCKS
- Stopping and starting ¼” from top and bottom, sew 4 blocks in a row, alternating a plain 4-patch and an HST block.
- Sew the first and the last edge together.
- Sew a 4-patch square on the top of the cube, pivoting at each corner.
- Sew the remaining 4-patch square on the bottom of the cube, leaving a 2″ turning gap. Turn the block right side out. Push out the corners with a bamboo point turner.
- Stuff the block with polyfill. Securely hand stitch the turning gap closed.
You can also download the Charming Baby Blocks free pattern to save for future gifting. And, for many more large and small quilting projects, quilting tips, and gift ideas check out Modern Patchwork Gifts 2016. There are 30 quilting projects, including beginner-friendly, quilt-in-a-day, and home décor projects.
Enjoy making these super cute baby blocks!