There’s something about block of the month quilts that’s just so appealing. Maybe it’s that box of new materials that comes in the mail each month that’s exhilarating. Fresh fabric certainly is addicting. Plus, shorter stints at the sewing machine for each step of the project keeps these projects interesting, increasing the chances of finishing them and out of our UFO piles. No wonder BOMs are so popular! Here are some of our favorite BOMs we think you’ll enjoy:
AVIARY Block of the Month
Here’s a full-size batik quilt featuring a beautiful bird and nature appliques of various shapes and sizes. All applique pieces come pre-cut and fused, so all you will have to do is cut the backgrounds and assemble the quilt. Easy peasy! The Aviary block of the month would be perfect for a guest bed, making quite an impression on visitors.
With this quilt block of the month, you’ll learn how to use an applique pressing sheet for quick applique assembling. The quilt also features a unique filigree border, which frames in the lovely fabrics. There’s also quilt backing available for this quilt if want to coordinate.
Each step in the process includes a free quilting video tutorial walking you through the techniques used in each portion of the quilt. These videos are oh-so-helpful and include great tips and tricks!
Think you might want to get started on this one? Before you do, here’s some useful information:
- Mailing starts upon sign up and continues for 9 months
- Each month, you’ll receive a pattern and fabric from Hoffman Fabrics to make a section of this full-size quilt
- Kits include a variety of Hoffman batiks for quilt top and binding
- The finished size is 72½” x 87½”
- Aviary was designed by Keith Phillips of Quilt Fusion
- This block of the month program is $39.99/month plus $3.99 shipping for US orders
URBAN BASIX Block of the Month
The Urban Basix block of the month has a more modern feel to it and is a great project for all skill levels. This a queen-size quilt featuring a variety of Star quilt blocks in two sizes and bright, refreshing colors. You’ll also find a quilt backing available for this BOM.
A few quilting techniques that you’ll use when making this quilt are: four-at-a-time Flying Geese units, quick triangle-squares, and the diagonal seams method for patchwork. Like Aviary, there are free quilting video tutorials for each step in the quiltmaking process meant to guide you through the quilt assembly. And, of course, we include some tips and trick to make your piecing go smoothly.
If this block of the month quilt floats your quilting boat, here are some details that you might appreciate:
- Mailing starts this month (June) and continues for 6 months
- Each month, you’ll receive a pattern and fabric to make a section of this queen-size quilt
- Kits include a variety of fabrics from the Urban Elementz Basix collection by Northcott Fabrics for quilt top and binding
- The finished size is 81″ x 96″
- This block of the month program is $29.99/month plus $3.99 shipping for US orders
And, if neither of these block of the month quilts appeal to you, take a peek at a few others that might be more your style.