The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry”—the shortened, translated version from a poem by Robert Burns in 1785 refers to the author who, as legend has it, accidentally destroyed a mouse’s nest while plowing in the fields. Consequently, the mouse had no home for the winter.
For me, this statement is more reflective of plans for holiday sewing made with plenty of time to spare, only to wind up rushing at the last minute. This doesn’t leave me homeless, but I frequently have to adjust my original plans. Since I enjoy giving handmade gifts to friends and loved ones, having projects that work up quickly solves the time crunch problem for me. Does this happen to you also?
I have to admit that I haven’t used panels often in my quilts. But when we started planning this issue and wanted to include a focus on panels, there were so many creative and innovative ideas for different ways to use them that I couldn’t wait to play with them. Panels were the perfect solution to my “out of time” dilemma! They can be cut apart and used in blocks (Disney Princess Dreams), surrounded by pieced borders (Full House, or Over the River) or even pieced into an Attic Windows setting to give the illusion of looking at a cityscape out a window (Moody Views). Find more ideas for gifts that work up quickly in this issue.
As 2017 winds down, and we look forward to what lies ahead in 2018, all of us here at McCall’s Quick Quilts wish you and your loved ones a joyous holiday and a healthy and happy New Year!
Carolyn Beam, Content Director
Table of Contents
In Every Issue
- Quick Pics
- Whatcha McCall’s It
- Quilt Basics
- Flor De Navidad: a throw to snuggle under or to decorate your home
- Disney Princess Dreams: a pretty perfect pattern for potential princesses
- Zig Zag Squares: a fat quarter quilt that everyone can make & enjoy
- A limited number of kits are available for this project
- Warm & Toasty: a mug rug that’s simply too sweet
- Merrymaking: celebrate the season’s festivities with a fun throw
- Full House: the boat is pretty full but we’ve saved room for you!
- Twinkling Bright: one easy block, endless variations
- Over the River: take a quick trip to a lovely destination; stay a while!
- Dream at Dawn Pt. 5: this sampler block layout is a breath of fresh air
- Moody Views: sew your way to a beautiful view