Part of the fun of quilting is looking for new and interesting blocks. Sometimes, new blocks emerge when you combine blocks in different ways. Asymmetrical blocks can produce a multitude of intriguing secondary designs just by rotating their placement within the quilt. Another surprising way to look for blocks is within other blocks. If you look closely you can find simple blocks hiding within complex blocks.
The possibilities are endless.
Can you find all the blocks hiding in this issue? Take a look at Trickster for some ideas on how to find simple blocks within complex blocks. Check out Now You See Me, Garden Gala, Triple Exposure, Monaco and Just Peachy to see how combining blocks can lead to some fun surprises.
Celebrate summer with our collection of patriotic quilts. Yankee Doodle is a fresh take on the Storm at Sea block. Grand Ol’ Flag gets its windblown feel from strip piecing and curved templates. In Petite Thirteen an original Quiltmaker pattern gets a new look.
Feel free to write me at firstname.lastname@example.org with your thoughts and suggestions.
Erin Russek, Associate Editor
Table of Contents
Pattern Pull Out Section
- Trickster: Pretty blocks, plain and fancy, take center stage in Lerlene Nevaril’s sophisticated design
- Now You See Me: Simple asymmetrical blocks produce an intriguing surprise
- Garden Gala: Clever color placement creates a fun pattern in Kate Colleran’s latest quilt
- Triple Exposure: Pinwheels get an update in Nancy Allen’s fresh new throw
- Monaco: Nancy Mahoney’s scrappy blocks lead to an abundance of design possibilities
- Just Peachy: Two easy blocks combine to create a subtle medallion quilt
- Yankee Doodle: Bea Lee’s patriotic quilt will have you celebrating in style
- Grand Ol’ Flag: Strip piecing and traditional templates come together for an inspiring summer wall quilt
- Petite Thirteen: Stars and stripes abound in our mini-sized version of a Quiltmaker classic
- Woodrose Garden: Bright flowers are blooming in this floral applique delight
- First Blush: Scott Murkin has a new twist on an old favorite in this cozy bed quilt
- Shell We Dance: Diane Harris’ magical mermaids are simply irresistible!
- Hidden Blocks and How to Find Them: Discover Lerlene Nevaril’s method for finding hidden blocks
- Using the Great New EQ8: A primer on what you need to know when upgrading to EQ8
- From the Editor
- Sew to Speak
- Find Your Inspiration
- Schoolhouse Steps: Quick Pieced Units
- Creative Spark
- Schoolhouse Steps: Cutting Templates
- Basic Lessons
- Addicted to Scraps
- Submission Guidelines