As the warmer weather approaches, we begin to see the signs of spring—the glimmers of hope after a cold winter. If you love to garden, this may mean starting seeds or planning plots and flower beds. For quilters, we are craving brighter fabrics and floral inspired quilts. It’s fascinating how we gravitate towards color palettes and patterns that reflect the seasons, isn’t it?
Our issue theme is “Garden quilts: Growing your skills and your quilts like a garden”, so naturally we had to find quilts that would challenge and inspire you. We have quilts that are pieced, quilts that are appliquéd, quilts with hand-embroidery, quilts with challenging triangles, and one quilt that features almost all of those techniques. Whether you love machine work or handwork, this issue has something you will enjoy.
The March/April 2019 Quiltmaker issue is also packed with plenty to read. We continue with our designer series, this time featuring award-winning quilter Claudia Pfeil, Linda Nitzen of Hoffman Fabrics, designer Nancy Mahoney, and Quiltmaker Art Director, Denise Starck. I find it fascinating to learn more about creative people, their background, and how they work, don’t you? And speaking of creative people, don’t miss the profile on Sue Spargo! Her work is sure to inspire you as it did Group Editorial Director, Tricia Patterson.
Whether you enjoy growing flowers in your garden, or love to create flowers with needle and thread, (or both!) I hope this issue inspires you to create.
See inside this issue in the Quiltmaker March/April 2019 Lookbook!
Table of Contents
- Flower Crown (intermediate) A traditional-style appliqué wreath made in contemporary fabrics with pieced sashing—fabulous!
- Errata: We are sorry for the error in the Flower Crown pattern—the templates were inadvertently left off the pattern pull out. Please download the templates for this pattern under “Pattern Pull out section” on this page.
- Garden of the Gods (challenging) A masterpiece from award-winning quilter, Claudia Pfeil, featuring piecing, appliqué, and couching
- Garden Trail (easy) A new twist on penny rugs, Garden Trail by Linda Nitzen is fun and bold
- Tesselation (intermediate) Twist the blocks in this design and make it your own
- Twiggy (intermediate) Dream of warmer weather while appliquéing this lovely spring design
- Tessie’s Garden (intermediate) A twist on a classic Quiltmaker pattern, this design features curved piecing, appliqué, and Yo-yo’s
- Sweet Starbursts (intermediate) Strip-pieced diamonds give the illusion of English Paper Piecing
- Camping Under the Stars (easy) Our camper is slumbering beneath the night sky in the latest camper series quilt by Terri Vanden Bosch
- Bohemian Dreams (intermediate) Chocolate browns and pretty florals give a decidedly Boho flair in this feminine quilt design
- Compass Points (easy) Paper pieced star points point you toward this bright and colorful quilt
Pattern Pull-Out Section
- Download the templates, quilting motifs, and appliqué patterns for this issue.
- The Whimsical World of Sue Spargo: Get to know Sue Spargo and her deliciously embellished quilts
- English Paper Piecing on the Go: Enjoy this excerpt from Florence Knapp’s book Flossie Teacakes’ Guide to English Paper Piecing
- Extra! Extra! Do you follow us online? If not, you may have missed some of these free patterns and tutorials
- From the Editor
- Sew to Speak
- Find Your Inspiration
- Basic Lessons
- Addicted to Scraps
- Submission Guidelines