Quilts Make it Home
How do you make a house a home? With quilts of course! As you flip through this issue, you might notice we have several house quilts. I have always been a sucker for house quilts. I just love them! And the more detail the better. First up is Home Again by Bea Lee made with fabrics that hint of the 1930’s. Next, fast forward to the modern skyline Metropolis by Ramona Sorensen. Finally, we have the very detailed Rise and Shine by Jen Daly complete with red barn and French knot sheep. Whether you love piecing or appliqué, one of these quilts should inspire you.
Also in our pages are a plethora of blocks that are under 6 inches and several Pinwheels. I think the motion in these designs is fun. Double Dutch by Ann Weins and Pinwheel Palooza by Diane Harris are quick and easy but pack a powerful visual punch. To The Nines by Mandy Leins is a more challenging quilt with partial seam chisels that look like Pinwheels and Nine Patches combined.
If you want to try something modern, look no further than the graphic punch of Eclipse by Gosia Powlowska and the improvisational curves of Off The Path by Louise Wackerman. These small quilts really wow.
If you love intricate work, don’t miss Modern Mandala by Betsy Vinegrad and the designer profile on her quilts. She has made several of these complex designs and discuses her inspiration for making these works of art and shares tips.
From classic to modern, Quiltmaker has a little something for every style of experienced quilter. We strive to inspire and help you stretch your skills.
Inside the May/June 2019 issue of Quiltmaker:
Make a house a home
- Rise and Shine (easy) Jen Daly has created a tiny, idyllic countryside complete with a red barn and French knot sheep
- Home Again (intermediate) Bea Lee is back with this sweet little pieced house on a tree-lined street
- Metropolis (easy) Create a dynamic city scape with lots of beautiful fabrics
Such Small Blocks
- Off the Path (easy) Teeny-tiny improvised Drunkard’s Path blocks are fun and easier than you think
- Modern Mandala (challenging) Intricately pieced, vibrant colors, spectacular quilt from Betsy Vinegrad
- Nautical Stars (easy) Two blocks combine to create this striking, masculine design pretty pinwheels
- To the Nines (intermediate) Pinwheels and Nine-Patch blocks combine in this cheerful quilt designed by Mandy Leins
- Pinwheel Palooza (easy) The Stash Bandit Diane Harris is back again with this fun and fabulous quilt
- Double Dutch (easy) Combine two sizes of pinwheels to create this fun and easy quilt
- Playful Posies (intermediate) Retro and modern fabrics mingle in this sweet quilt by Audrey Heirs
- Eclipse (intermediate) Modern, graphic, striking, this wall hanging is perfect for adding a pop of color
Pattern Pull-Out Section
- Download the templates, quilting motifs, and appliqué patterns for this issue.
- Download the Celebration quilting motif.
Meet the Designers
- Ramona Sorenson
- Betsy Vingrad
- Mandy Liens
- Rule Your Quilt Angela Huffman discusses how to create lattice quilting designs using rulers
- Modern Spotlight: Tiny Quilt Blocks Lynn Harris talks about working on a small scale and shares tips for success
- Drive Your Domestic: From Doodle to Done Lori Kennedy shares tips for successful free motion quilting on your domestic sewing machine
- Extra! Extra! Do you follow us online? If not, you may have missed some of these free patterns and tutorials
- From the Editor
- Sew to Speak
- Find Your Inspiration
- Basic Lessons
- Addicted to Scraps