What do you get when you combine swirling rainbows, modern grid work, welcoming fruit, and curvaceous beauties? It’s this issue of Quilty, of course! With the holidays and winter in the rearview mirror, it’s time to say farewell to red and green plaids and ugly holiday sweaters. Full of light and bright projects, this issue sets its gaze on warmer weather and sunny skies.
You’ll want to showcase your own welcoming spirit with some Modern Hospitality pineapples—not just trendy, this pineapple quilt is the perfect way to warm your soul.
And it doesn’t stop there! With 10 patterns, tips on picking the perfect thread, and the next installment of Quilty’s 2018 block of the month pattern, there should be enough to keep you busy until our May issue!
Until next time, happy quilting!
Kelly Biscopink, Contributing Editor
Table of Contents
In This Issue
- Letter from the Editor
- Your Modern Heritage: Victoria Findlay Wolfe’s Improv Double Wedding Ring
- Love your Longarmer: Thread Gets Personal!
- Quilty Store/Kits
Sew Easy Lessons
- Sew Easy Lesson: Using Tri-Recs Tools
- Sew Easy Lesson: Set-In Seams
- Sew Easy Lesson: Crazy-Pieced Blocks
- Sew Easy Lesson: Quick Triangle-Squares
- Sew Easy Lesson: Cutting Setting Triangles
- Sew Easy Lesson: Row Alignment
- Sew Easy Lesson: String Piecing on Foundation Paper
- Sew Easy Lesson: Piecing Curves
- Rainbow Swirl: Swirling rainbows bring to mind giant lollipops, fairy tales, and Oz—what’s not to love? Even better, this complicated design is made with easy pieced units you make all the time.
- Shepaug: Double the sashing means double the fun in this big block quilt! Stitch-and-Flip corners and cornerstones add easy-to-achieve complexity to this beauty.
- Modern Hospitality: Say “Welcome” to negative space and transform your fave yellows and greens into a trio of perky pineapples. After all, the on-trend pineapple is the international symbol of hospitality.
- All Is Calm: Get zen, be mellow, and chill. Sew-easy techniques will keep you feelin’ stress-free while whipping up this stunner!
- Cray Cray: If you’re a little bit country and a little bit rock-and-roll, wait ’til you combine crazy piecing with old fashioned triangle-squares! The love song practically writes itself.
- Follow Me: When the way is paved with a rainbow of fabric arrows, we’ll follow anywhere you lead!
- Cubemate: Sick of working in a sea of cubicles? Not to worry. We know you’ll love snuggling under this one.
- String Me Along 2: Dodi Lee Poulsen designed a scrappy string quilt for our sister publication, Love of Quilting. We liked it so much, we made a version for Quilty readers! Totally clears out those scraps!
- Put a Spin on It: Curved piecing can be a breeze when the pieces are large and the curves are smooth. What do you have to lose? Give it a spin!
- Stars of the Safari: Babies appreciate piecing, too! Combine the perfect focus print and its coordinating fabrics to create a one-of-a-kind novelty quilt for the littlest quilt-lover in your life.
- Urban Basix-Block of the Month #2: Spring has sprung! In this installment of Quilty’s Block of the Month, we’re giving you not one, not two, but THREE quilt blocks—Western Star, London Roads, and Four Corners Star! (What can we say? We do things a little differently around here.) Piece these blocks while Spring blossoms toward Summer.