Try our quick and easy method to make 3-color hourglass units without cutting triangles. Below you’ll find both video and image+text tutorials for this technique with clear, step-by-step instructions. PLUS—if you’ve found this lesson useful, you can download a copy of this AND many more Sew Easy lessons in our FREE eBooklet Sew Easy Lessons: The Essential Collection of Quilting Techniques. Click here to download your copy of this lesson plus many other tried-and-true patchwork tutorials!
Step-by-Step Sew Easy Instructions
- Cut one set of matching squares and one set of non-matching squares, 1¼” larger than desired finished size of hourglass unit.
- On wrong side of one matching square, mark diagonal line from corner to corner. This will be your cutting line. Mark sewing lines ¼” away from each side of cutting line. Place marked square on square from non-matching set, right sides facing
- Sew along marked sewing lines, then cut along marked cutting line. Press seam allowance toward darker fabric. Repeat to make second set of triangle-squares.
- On wrong side of one triangle-square, draw diagonal line perpendicular to seam. This will be your cutting line. Mark sewing lines ¼” away from each side of cutting line.
- Place marked triangle-square on one triangle-square from second set, right sides facing and matching fabrics opposite each other. Sew along marked sewing lines.
- Cut along marked cutting lines to create two 3-color hourglass units. Press seam allowance to one side. Repeat steps 4–6 to make two additional 3-color hourglass units.
Products used: Havel’s Self-Healing Cutting Mat, Havel’s 6″ x 24″ Fabric Ruler, and Havel’s 45mm Rotary Cutter; check out Havel’s Sewing for more information and a complete catalog.
Machine featured is the performance icon™ by PFAFF®. To find a retailer near you, visit PFAFF.com.
Fabric from Garden Glory collection by Maja Ronnback and Abstract Collage collection by Ampersand, both for Paintbrush Studio Fabrics.
If you’d like to download the individual PDF of Sew Easy: 3-Color Hourglass Units, click here!
Want to learn more? Visit our Sew Easy index to find many more great Sew Easy videos from the Quilting Company team.
For more quilting know-how, check out these products!