Because of the stretch, continuous bias strips are a must-have for curved binding and appliqué. Below you’ll find both video and image+text tutorials for this technique with clear, step-by-step instructions. PLUS—if you’ve found this lesson useful, you can download a copy of this AND many more Sew Easy lessons in our FREE eBooklet Sew Easy Lessons: The Essential Collection of Quilting Techniques. Click here to download your copy of this lesson plus many other tried-and-true patchwork tutorials!
Step-by-Step Sew Easy Instructions
- Cut a square large enough to make the bias size strip needed (see chart). Cut square in half diagonally.TIP: Pin the “top” and “bottom” outer edges to remember straight-of-grain in the next step.
- Align raw, straight-of-grain edges with right sides facing, and allow ¼” of 45-degree tip to extend on either side as shown.
- Pin raw edges.
- Sew triangles together with ¼” seam.
- Press seam open. You will have an unusual, rhombus shape.
- On wrong side of fabric, draw lines at desired width along long side of shape, as shown. Lines should be at a 45-degree angle from seam. (You may have an extra strip that is too thin; you will trim that away later.)
- Draw seamline on each short diagonal side, ¼” from edge.
- Bring short diagonal sides together to form a tube, offsetting drawn lines by one strip.
- With right sides together, pin-match lines at ¼” seamline, then pin to secure.
- Sew seamline. Using tailor’s ham or sleeve board, press seam open.
- With scissors, cut along continuously drawn line. Trim away extra.
TIP: The equation to determine the length you need is: [(height of quilt + width of quilt) x 2] + 10.
Products used: Havel’s Self-Healing Cutting Mat, Havel’s 45mm Rotary Cutter, Havel’s 6″ x 24″ Fabric Ruler, Havel’s 8″ Fabric Scissors. Check out Havel’s Sewing for more information and a complete catalog.
Other products include Aurifil 40wt. cotton thread (fuchsia), pencil, glasshead pins, sleeve board, wool pressing pad, travel iron, starch.
Machine featured is the performance icon™ by PFAFF®. To find a retailer near you, visit PFAFF.com.
Fabric from Abstract Collage collection by Ampersand for Paintbrush Studio Fabrics.
If you’d like to download the individual PDF of Sew Easy: Continuous Bias Strips, click here!
Want to learn more? Visit our Sew Easy index to find many more great Sew Easy videos from the Quilting Company team.
For more quilting know-how, check out these products!