This method, with just a dash of patience, will result in beautifully curved patchwork. Below you’ll find both video and image+text tutorials for this technique with clear, step-by-step instructions. PLUS—if you’ve found this lesson useful, you can download a copy of this AND many more Sew Easy lessons in our FREE eBooklet Sew Easy Lessons: The Essential Collection of Quilting Techniques. Click here to download your copy of this lesson plus many other tried-and-true patchwork tutorials!
Step-by-Step Sew Easy Instructions
- Mark center of curve on both patches by folding in half and creasing.
- Working with background patch on top, pin at curve centers, taking a small bite with pin. Pin at both ends of seam, taking deep bites with pins.
- Align pieces at beginning of seam. Sew to middle of curve, using your fingertips, a stiletto, or a wooden skewer to help keep curved edges aligned.
- Leaving needle down, raise presser foot and re-align curved edges as needed. About 1″ from end, adjust top fabric so ending edges are also aligned. Sew to end.
- Using straight-tipped snips, clip curved seam to allow it to fold easily.
- Gently press seam allowance toward background patch.
TIP: Patience is a virtue. Take your time when piecing curves to get the best result.
Products used: Havel’s Self-Healing Cutting Mat and Havel’s 6″ Serrated-Blade Fabric Scissors with larger finger loop. Check out Havel’s Sewing for more information and a complete catalog.
Other products used include Aurifil 40wt. cotton thread (fuschia), glasshead pins, wool pressing pad, travel iron, starch.
Machine featured is the performance icon™ by PFAFF®. To find a retailer near you, visit PFAFF.com.
Fabric from Garden Glory collection by Maja Ronnback and Abstract Collage collection by Ampersand, both for Paintbrush Studio Fabrics.
If you’d like to download the individual PDF of Sew Easy: Curved Piecing, click here!
Want to learn more? Visit our Sew Easy index to find many more great Sew Easy videos from the Quilting Company team.
For more quilting know-how, check out these products!