Strips are frequently sewn together to create a band, which you can cut into smaller segments. Below you’ll find both video and image+text tutorials for this technique with clear, step-by-step instructions. PLUS—if you’ve found this lesson useful, you can download a copy of this AND many more Sew Easy lessons in our FREE eBooklet Sew Easy Lessons: The Essential Collection of Quilting Techniques. Click here to download your copy of this lesson plus many other tried-and-true patchwork tutorials!
Step-by-Step Sew Easy Instructions
- To make a band, pair two strips with right sides facing and raw edges aligned. Stitch with ¼” seam. Press flat to set stitches.
- Fold top strip back and gently press seam open to one side. Band should be straight, without any distortion along outside edges.
- Add third strip to complete band and press as described in previous steps.
- Measure height of band to ensure it matches the required measurements. Aligning horizontal lines on ruler with long edge and seam lines of strip set, trim uneven end of strip set.
- Keeping horizontal lines on ruler aligned with band, cut required width segments.
- If making bands with more than three strips, join strips in pairs and then sew pairs together.
TIP: If combining units from multiple bands, such as for a Nine-Patch block, press seams in bands in alternating directions to “nest” seams.
Products used: Havel’s Self-Healing Cutting Mat, Havel’s 6″ x 24″ Fabric Ruler, Havel’s 45mm Rotary Cutter. Check out Havel’s Sewing for more information and a complete catalog.
Other products include Aurifil 40wt. cotton thread (fuchsia), pencil, paper-backed fusible web, wool pressing pad, travel iron, starch.
Machine featured is the performance icon™ by PFAFF®. To find a retailer near you, visit PFAFF.com.
Fabric from Garden Glory collection by Maja Ronnback and Abstract Collage collection by Ampersand, both for Paintbrush Studio Fabrics.
If you’d like to download the individual PDF of Sew Easy: Making Bands, click here!
Want to learn more? Visit our Sew Easy index to find many more great Sew Easy videos from the Quilting Company team.
For more quilting know-how, check out these products!