Chenille an entire panel or within a specific shape for a special textural effect. Below you’ll find both video and image+text tutorials for this technique with clear, step-by-step instructions. PLUS—if you’ve found this lesson useful, you can download a copy of this AND many more Sew Easy lessons in our FREE eBooklet Sew Easy Lessons: The Essential Collection of Quilting Techniques. Click here to download your copy of this lesson plus many other tried-and-true patchwork tutorials!
Step-by-Step Sew Easy Instructions
- Lay backing fabric wrong side up. Center batting (if using) and multiple layers of fabric right side up on top of backing fabric. Pin or lightly spray-baste layers in place. Sew shape if desired.
- Mark center diagonal line across area to chenille using pencil or tape, then continue marking on either side ⅜” to ½” away.
- Sew through all layers along marked lines using an even-feed mechanism or walking foot.
- Using scissors, make ¼” slit in top layers of fabric near edge of channel, leaving bottom fabric layer intact.
- Insert tip of chenille cutter into channel over bottom layer and cut top layers. Continue until all channels have been cut.
- Run chenilled quilt through wash and dry cycles to create fluffy effect.
TIP: To get the full “fluff” factor, try throwing a couple of towels in with the chenilled quilt!
Products used: Havel’s Self-Healing Cutting Mat, Havel’s Curved Basting Pins, Havel’s 6″ x 24″ Fabric Ruler, Havel’s 3-½” Straight-Tip Embroidery Scissors, and Havel’s 2-In-1 Rotary & Chenille Slash Cutter. Check out Havel’s Sewing for more information and a complete catalog. Other products include Aurifil 40wt. cotton thread (fuchsia) and pencil.
Machine featured is the performance icon™ by PFAFF®. To find a retailer near you, visit PFAFF.com.
Fabric from Abstract Collage collection by Ampersand and Gulls Just Want To Have Fun collection, both for Paintbrush Studio Fabrics.
If you’d like to download the individual PDF of Sew Easy: Making Chenille, click here!
Want to learn more? Visit our Sew Easy index to find many more great Sew Easy videos from the Quilting Company team.
For more quilting know-how, check out these products!