Follow these instructions to make perfect mitered corners. Below you’ll find both video and image+text tutorials for this technique with clear, step-by-step instructions. PLUS—if you’ve found this lesson useful, you can download a copy of this AND many more Sew Easy lessons in our FREE eBooklet Sew Easy Lessons: The Essential Collection of Quilting Techniques. Click here to download your copy of this lesson plus many other tried-and-true patchwork tutorials!
Step-by-Step Sew Easy Instructions
- Mark centers of block and border strip. With right sides facing and raw edges aligned, match centers. (Strip will extend beyond edges; do not trim.) Join border strip, beginning and ending stitches ¼” from corners and backstitching at each end.
- Press seam allowance toward border strip. Add remaining border strips in the same manner.
- With right sides facing, fold block diagonally, aligning raw edges of adjacent sides. Open seam allowance; align a ruler along the diagonal fold. Mark from seam to raw edge.
- Stitch on marked line, backstitching at beginning and stitching out to raw edge.
- Trim seam allowance to ¼”.TIP: Before trimming, unfold the block to ensure the strips lie flat, correcting stitching if necessary.
- In same manner, miter remaining corners. Press corner seams open.
Products used: Havel’s Self-Healing Cutting Mat, Havel’s 45mm Rotary Cutter, and Havel’s 6″ x 24″ Fabric Ruler. Check out Havel’s Sewing for more information and a complete catalog.
Other products include Aurifil 40wt. cotton thread (fuchsia), glasshead pins, wool pressing pad, travel iron, starch.
Machine featured is the performance icon™ by PFAFF®. To find a retailer near you, visit PFAFF.com.
Fabric from Abstract Collage collection by Ampersand Paintbrush Studio Fabrics.
If you’d like to download the individual PDF of Sew Easy: Mitering Corners, click here!
Want to learn more? Visit our Sew Easy index to find many more great Sew Easy videos from the Quilting Company team.
For more quilting know-how, check out these products!