Try this method to make four perfect Flying Geese units at the same time. Below you’ll find both video and image+text tutorials for this technique with clear, step-by-step instructions. PLUS—if you’ve found this lesson useful, you can download a copy of this AND many more Sew Easy lessons in our FREE eBooklet Sew Easy Lessons: The Essential Collection of Quilting Techniques. Click here to download your copy of this lesson plus many other tried-and-true patchwork tutorials!
Step-by-Step Sew Easy Instructions
- On wrong side of each of four small squares, mark diagonal line corner to corner. This will be your cutting line. Mark sewing lines ¼” away from each side of cutting line.
- Place two small squares on opposite corners of one large square, right sides facing. Corners will overlap slightly at center. Sew along marked sewing lines.
- Cut along marked cutting lines. Press seams toward small triangles.
- Place remaining small squares on unit corners. Sew along marked sewing lines.
- Cut along marked cutting lines.
- Press seams toward small triangles to complete four Flying Geese units.
TIP: This method works for any size Flying Geese unit. Cut the small squares 7/8″ larger than the finished height and the large square 1¼” larger than the finished width.
Products used: Havel’s Self-Healing Cutting Mat, Havel’s 6″ x 24″ Fabric Ruler, Havel’s 6-½” Fabric Ruler, and Havel’s 45mm Rotary Cutter. Check out Havel’s Sewing for more information and a complete catalog.
Other products include Aurifil 40wt. cotton thread (fuchsia), wool pressing pad, travel iron, starch.
Machine featured is the performance icon™ by PFAFF®. To find a retailer near you, visit PFAFF.com.
Fabric from Garden Glory collection by Maja Ronnback and Abstract Collage collection by Ampersand, both for Paintbrush Studio Fabrics.
If you’d like to download the individual PDF of Sew Easy: Quick-Pieced Flying Geese Units, click here!
Want to learn more? Visit our Sew Easy index to find many more great Sew Easy videos from the Quilting Company team.
For more quilting know-how, check out these products!