Try our quick and easy method to make hourglass units without cutting triangles. Below you’ll find both video and image+text tutorials for this technique with clear, step-by-step instructions. PLUS—if you’ve found this lesson useful, you can download a copy of this AND many more Sew Easy lessons in our FREE eBooklet Sew Easy Lessons: The Essential Collection of Quilting Techniques. Click here to download your copy of this lesson plus many other tried-and-true patchwork tutorials!
Step-by-Step Sew Easy Instructions
- From one light and one dark fabric, cut one square 1-¼” larger than desired finished size of hourglass unit.
- On wrong side of light square, mark diagonal line from corner to corner. This will be your cutting line. Mark sewing lines ¼” away on each side of cutting line.
- Place light square on dark square, right sides facing; sew along marked sewing lines.
- Cut along marked cutting line to make two triangle-squares. Press seam allowance toward darker fabric.
- On wrong side of one triangle-square, draw a diagonal line perpendicular to the seam. This will be your cutting line. Mark sewing lines ¼” away on each side of cutting line.
- Place triangle-square with marked lines on matching triangle-square, right sides and opposite fabrics facing. Sew along marked sewing lines, then cut on marked cutting line to create two hourglass units. Press seam allowance to one side.
Products used: Havel’s Self-Healing Cutting Mat, Havel’s 6″ x 24″ Fabric Ruler, and Havel’s 45mm Rotary Cutter. Check out Havel’s Sewing for more information and a complete catalog.
Other products include Aurifil 40wt. cotton thread (fuchsia), glasshead pins, wool pressing pad, travel iron, starch.
Machine featured is the performance icon™ by PFAFF®. To find a retailer near you, visit PFAFF.com.
Fabric from Abstract Collage collection by Ampersand for Paintbrush Studio Fabrics.
If you’d like to download the individual PDF of Sew Easy: Quick-Pieced Hourglass Units, click here!
Want to learn more? Visit our Sew Easy index to find many more great Sew Easy videos from the Quilting Company team.
For more quilting know-how, check out these products!