Try this variation of our quick-pieced Flying Geese units to make fast work of star points, like those found in a Missouri Star quilt block. Below you’ll find both video and image+text tutorials for this technique with clear, step-by-step instructions. PLUS—if you’ve found this lesson useful, you can download a copy of this AND many more Sew Easy lessons in our FREE eBooklet Sew Easy Lessons: The Essential Collection of Quilting Techniques. Click here to download your copy of this lesson plus many other tried-and-true patchwork tutorials!
Step-by-Step Sew Easy Instructions
- On wrong side of each of four matching triangle-squares, mark diagonal line from corner to corner. This will be your cutting line. Mark sewing lines ¼” away from each side of cutting line.
- Place two triangle-squares on opposite corners of one large square, right sides facing, with corners of “inner point” (pink fabric) overlapping slightly at center. Sew along marked sewing lines.
- Cut along marked cutting lines. Press seams toward triangle-squares.
- Place remaining triangle-squares on each unit, as shown. Sew along marked sewing lines.
- Cut along marked cutting lines.
- Press seams toward triangle-squares to complete four split-point units.
TIP: This method works for any size split-point unit. Triangle-squares need to be 7/8″ larger than the finished height and the large square 1¼” larger than the finished width.
Products used: Havel’s Self-Healing Cutting Mat, Havel’s 45mm Rotary Cutter, and Havel’s 6″ x 24″ Fabric Ruler. Check out Havel’s Sewing for more information and a complete catalog.
Other products include Aurifil 40wt. cotton thread (fuchsia), glasshead pins, wool pressing pad, travel iron, starch.
Machine featured is the performance icon™ by PFAFF®. To find a retailer near you, visit PFAFF.com.
Fabric from Garden Glory collection by Maja Ronnback and Abstract Collage collection by Ampersand, both for
Paintbrush Studio Fabrics.
If you’d like to download the individual PDF of Sew Easy: Quick-Pieced Split Point Units, click here!
Want to learn more? Visit our Sew Easy index to find many more great Sew Easy videos from the Quilting Company team.
For more quilting know-how, check out these products!