Blocks with triangles and diamonds may require this special sewing technique. Below you’ll find both video and image+text tutorials for this technique with clear, step-by-step instructions. PLUS—if you’ve found this lesson useful, you can download a copy of this AND many more Sew Easy lessons in our FREE eBooklet Sew Easy Lessons: The Essential Collection of Quilting Techniques. Click here to download your copy of this lesson plus many other tried-and-true patchwork tutorials!
Step-by-Step Sew Easy Instructions
- Use ruler to mark an X on wrong side of each patch at intersection of ¼” seam allowances. Mark a dot in center of each X
- With right sides together, align first two patches. Join patches by stitching from dot to dot and backstitching at dots to secure seam at both ends. Press seam allowance to one side.
- Aligning dots, pin third patch to unit. Stitch from center dot to outer edge. Press seam allowance to one side.
- Carefully folding unit out of the way, if needed, align dots of third patch to adjoining patch; pin at dots. Stitch from center dot to outer edge to complete unit.
- Press seam allowance to one side. Repeat to make additional units; sew units together.
- In same manner, set in any additional patches to complete block.
TIP: Except for the outer edge of block, always stitch from dot to dot. This will keep seam allowances free to allow you to set in pieces.
Products used: Havel’s Self-Healing Cutting Mat, Havel’s 45mm Rotary Cutter, and Havel’s 6″ x 24″ or Havel’s 6-½” Fabric Ruler. Check out Havel’s Sewing for more information and a complete catalog.
Other products include Aurifil 40wt. cotton thread (fuchsia), pencil, glasshead pins, wool pressing pad, travel iron, starch.
Machine featured is the performance icon™ by PFAFF®. To find a retailer near you, visit PFAFF.com.
Fabric from Garden Glory collection by Maja Ronnback and Abstract Collage collection by Ampersand, both for Paintbrush Studio Fabrics.
If you’d like to download the individual PDF of Sew Easy: Set-In Seams, click here!
Want to learn more? Visit our Sew Easy index to find many more great Sew Easy videos from the Quilting Company team.
For more quilting know-how, check out these products!