Use similarly sized strips, or vary the widths—the more, the merrier! Below you’ll find both video and image+text tutorials for this technique with clear, step-by-step instructions. PLUS—if you’ve found this lesson useful, you can download a copy of this AND many more Sew Easy lessons in our FREE eBooklet Sew Easy Lessons: The Essential Collection of Quilting Techniques. Click here to download your copy of this lesson plus many other tried-and-true patchwork tutorials!
Step-by-Step Sew Easy Instructions
- Place first fabric strip right-side up on paper foundation. Strips should extend off foundation’s edge. Place second strip right-side down over first strip, aligning long edge, and sew.
- Lay central patch right-side up on foundation. Lay second patch right-side down, aligning it with edge of central patch. Sew through all layers, using a ¼” seam allowance.
- Open out second patch, and press. Add next patch along edge, then sew and press open.
- Continue adding strips clockwise until foundation is covered, alternating sizes and shapes as desired.
- To square up, turn unit foundation-side up. Trim excess fabric even with edges of foundation, or use fussy-cut windows to determine finished unit.
- Keep it crazy! The end unit doesn’t have to be square. If using paper foundation, tear out paper. If using leave-in foundation, you’re ready to go!
Products used: Martelli’s Color-Contrasting Cutting Mat, Martelli’s 45mm Ergonomic Rotary Cutter, Martelli’s No-Slip Square Templates and Fussy-Cut Set, Martelli’s wool pressing pad, and Martelli’s Advantage Work Station. For a complete catalog of Martelli notions, as well as useful how-to videos, visit them here.
Other products include Aurifil 40wt. cotton thread (fuchsia), glasshead pins, printer paper, travel iron, starch
Machine featured is the performance icon™ by PFAFF®. To find a retailer near you, visit PFAFF.com.
Fabrics from Garden Glory collection by Maja Ronnback and Abstract Collage collection by Ampersand, both for Paintbrush Studio Fabrics.
If you’d like to download the individual PDF of Sew Easy: String Piecing on Foundation Paper, click here!
Want to learn more? Visit our Sew Easy index to find many more great Sew Easy videos from the Quilting Company team.
For more quilting know-how, check out these products!