“Windowing” fusible web helps keep appliqué quilts soft and flexible. Below you’ll find both video and image+text tutorials for this technique with clear, step-by-step instructions. PLUS—if you’ve found this lesson useful, you can download a copy of this AND many more Sew Easy lessons in our FREE eBooklet Sew Easy Lessons: The Essential Collection of Quilting Techniques. Click here to download your copy of this lesson plus many other tried-and-true patchwork tutorials!
Step-by-Step Sew Easy Instructions
- Working on paper side of fusible web, trace appliqué shape. Here, we’re tracing an 8-1/2″ circle template onto a square of fusible web folded into quarters.
- You’ll want about a ½” of fusible web. Here, we’re tracing a smaller circle template, then cutting. If you’re working without a template, rough-cut ¼” on either side of traced line.
- Following manufacturer’s instructions, fuse web to wrong side of appliqué fabric.
- Carefully cut appliqué shape from fabric on drawn line, leaving ¼” of fusible web inside shape. Here, we’re using a circle template for accuracy.
- After cutting appliqué shape, peel off paper backing.
- Position appliqué in place on background fabric, and fuse shape in place. Using coordinating thread and preferred stitch, appliqué outline of shape to finish.
Products used: Martelli’s Color-Contrasting Cutting Mat, Martelli’s No-Slip Circle Templates, Martelli’s Round-About Cutting Mat, Martelli’s 28mm Ergonomic Rotary Cutter, Martelli’s Advantage Work Station, and Martelli’s Wool Pressing Pad. For a complete catalog of Martelli notions, as well as useful how-to videos, visit their website.
Other products include pencil and paper-backed fusible web.
Fabrics from Abstract Collage collection by Ampersand for Paintbrush Studio Fabrics.
If you’d like to download the individual PDF of Sew Easy: Windowing Fusible Appliqué, click here!
Want to learn more? Visit our Sew Easy index to find many more great Sew Easy videos from the Quilting Company team.
For more quilting know-how, check out these products!