Have you ever wanted to see a quilt you made in a national quilting magazine? If you’re a reader of McCall’s Quilting, McCall’s Quick Quilts, Fons & Porter’s Love of Quilting or Quiltmaker magazines, here’s your chance!
We are actively seeking photos of quilts made from the patterns published in our traditional quilting magazines to be included in future issues. We’re sure you agree with us when we say we all love seeing what readers do with our patterns—it’s like a great big guild show-and-tell!
General Guidelines for All Submissions
- Include your full name and mailing address, and a phone number or email address if contacting us via regular mail.
- Be sure to tell us the name of the original pattern you based your quilt on and the issue in which it appeared.
- Photos need to be clear and focused. Pay attention to the quality of the lighting. Light sources should come from in front of the quilt; photos taken with windows or bright light fixtures in the background will make your quilt appear dimmer. If you are taking photos outdoors, try to minimize shadows on the quilt.
- Emailed photos need to be high-resolution images of at least 1 MB and 300 dpi; if you don’t know exactly what that means, most cell phone photos will suffice as long as you send them at their full size.
- To “snail mail” a photo and description, our mailing address is:
741 Corporate Circle
Golden, CO 80401
Be sure to include the specific magazine title and department in the address.
- Due to the volume of photos we receive, we cannot acknowledge receipt or return photos.
- Submitted materials may appear in print or online.
Below are the magazines and departments in which we feature reader photos. You’ll find a few details about what we’re looking for and the email addresses to send your submission.
McCall’s Quilting: Quilter to Quilter
Be sure to include people in your project photos!
McCall’s Quick Quilts: Quick Pics
Again, include people in your project photos, whether yourself or the quilt’s recipient(s).
Fons & Porter’s Love of Quilting: Sew & Tell
You may include people in your project photos, or send us a full, flat shot of the quilt.
Quiltmaker: Sew to Speak and Spotlight
For Sew to Speak, send a photo of the entire quilt showing the full binding and a close-up of any interesting details. Include the size of the quilt, a short note about why you made it, any awards received and any other details our readers might enjoy.
Spotlight is always on the last page in each issue of Quiltmaker and is dedicated to a creative remake of a pattern we’ve published. For example, this version of Swoopers, originally patterned in the March/April 2016 issue, which was made by reader Linda Franklin from California. Because she used a cat panel instead of the owls featured in the original, she named her version SophistiCats.
If you’ve adapted a Quiltmaker pattern in an original way, your quilt could be featured in a future Spotlight and have a full page all to itself! Send us a photo of the full quilt and a short description. If we decide to include it in the magazine, we will contact you to arrange to have it sent to our office so it can be professionally photographed.
We can’t wait to see your creations!