Have you ever tried wool applique? It’s a quick, easy and addictive technique that looks great on folk art quilts, holiday projects and more! Our managing editor Paula Stoddard is a big fan of working with wool – in fact, she’s designed a number of quilts featuring wool applique over the years, most recently the darling JOY table topper featured in our new November/December issue.
Follow our step-by-step photo tutorial at this link to learn Paula’s simple technique for wool applique (the link includes a printer-friendly PDF you can download). Then put the technique to use on one of these quilted holiday projects:
1. JOY table topper: Dig into your wool stash to create this festive holiday table topper.
2. Christmas Stitches wall hanging: Hand embroidery, wool applique and button embellishments are surrounded by a simple pieced border on this patchwork wall quilt.
3. Light the Way candle mats: These woolen candle mats include three designs: Christmas lights, Christmas mice and dreidels.
4. Christmas Tweet wall hanging: Made up of assorted scraps and wool appliqué, this little wall quilt is sure to be a holiday favorite!
5. Snowman mug rug: Combine simple shapes and easy embroidery stitches to make this cute scalloped wool snowman coaster.